Wednesday 9 February 2011

1940s Research


This image is research that I conducted for my A2 Product Design: Textiles piece. My client requires a contempory suit inspired by the 1940s era, therefore I conducted in many different forms of research in order to understand this era and the styles within it. One form of research was visiting the fashion department in the V&A Museum in London. Many pieces that were on show were inspirational to me as a designer, however, this suit inspired me the most for my project as Schiaparelli is an important icon of the time, this lead me to look at other influencial designers such as Dior and his 'New Look' line. I took my sketch book with me to the museum and I sketched whilst the ideas were fresh in my mind. This image is a 1938 Elsa Schiaparelli suit that I viewed. I took the concept of having embellished shoulders on the suit and developed it by making a sample of what could be on my garment if i was to make it. I could then develop this through embellishment, or the use of wire to manipulate the leaves to create a natural form effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment